Warm Quinoa Salad
Posted by ieatwise.com
This salad is packed with all the healthy benefits of quinoa, avocado, spinach and green beans.
Serves: 2-3 Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 cup quinoa (dry measure)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 onion, choped
- 1 tsp olive oil (or water or veggie broth)
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 cup green beans, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 lime, quartered
- 1 Tbsp sacha inchi or flaxseed oil (optional)
- salt, to taste
- Put the quinoa and spices in a dry pot, and turn on to medium-high heat. Let this cook for a few minutes, until the spices and quinoa toast lightly.
- Add 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt to the pot, cover and bring to a boil. Then turn down to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the quinoa has absorbed all the water and is light and fluffy.
- While the quinoa cooks, chop the vegetables and add them (in the order listed) to a pan or pot on medium-high and saute with oil, water or veggie broth. Add a sprinkle of salt to help them soften and merge their flavors. Add the avocado just at the very end to warm - or just chop and lay it on top if you prefer.
- Once the quinoa is cooked, squeeze half of the lime into it, and toss with the sacha inchi or flaxseed oil if you're using it. The oil will help carry the flavor of the spices, and has lots of omega-3 fatty acids. You can also use olive oil if you prefer, although it doesn't have the same omega-3 level.
- Top the seasoned quinoa with some vegetables, and squeeze the rest of the lime juice on top. You can also toss everything together if you like, to make it more salad-like.